Welcome, Autumn!

Hi there! I’m here to share my DT inspiration for this month’s ATG (old or new, and just colorings, too!) Challenge at the Stamps by Aurora Wings Facebook group. This was a project that I almost gave up on a few times! I used the amazing full version of Harvest Elf, from the Gardens and Goddesses 3 PDF coloring book. A simpler version of this beauty can also be found at the AW store. I printed the image waaay to small (3 1/5 x 5″), because apparently, I don’t value the remaining scraps of sanity that I’ve managed to hang on to. I colored it up with my Copics, trying to concentrate on individual elements as I went (this is the first time that I felt like giving up on this!)

When I FINALLY had her colored, I had no idea what to do with her! A friend suggested just framing her, but I had no frame the right size…..however….I was in need of an autumn themed decoration for my door! I scrounged around in my stash of stuff, and couldn’t find anything that would work (give up thoughts #2). I was just turning away from my closet of goodies, when these ugly crates caught my eye. I snapped them up years ago, when I worked at a department/grocery store. We had received cobs of corn in them, and they are made of cheap wood slats that are sloppily wired together. Definitely not something that is made to last! I’m sure that I got a few looks when I squirreled them into my car! I removed a few of the slats, and being cheapo wood, they splintered and broke….(thought 3)….but I worked with the mess I made and broke them more, and made a rustic base for my project. I painted it, then applied some crackle glaze on for a bit more texture.

While I was scrounging around for base material, I noticed a cut that I made eons ago on my Cricut. It was from a heavier weight plastic cardboard type of material, that pretty much screwed up my first machine! Good thing I saved it for all these years! I painted it, and adhered it to the wood base. I glued the image to a chipboard mat, then to some 1/4″ foam to lift it a bit, and placed it over a piece of burlap. Then I tucked 2 different kinds of moss and some twigs around it. I felt a bit of color was needed, so added a few sunflowers and some unknown nature thingies that I’ll call leaves. A chipboard butterfly, painted to match the ones in the image, was added as the finishing touch 🙂

I’d like to enter this in the following:

Allsorts Challenge Blog – Week 591 Autumn Colors

Crafty Friends Challenge – #145 Autumn Colors

Crafty Creations – #413 ATG

Crafty Gals Corner – #211 Fall Colors

Pammie’s Inky Pinkies – #2038 ATG

Coloring in Scrapland – September ATG/Home Decor

The Crafter’s Cafe – #215 Season

A Perfect Time to Craft – #9 September ATG

Classic Design Challenge – #9 September ATG

Crafts Galore Encore – #79 ATG


  1. Wow is all I can say! I can only imagine your poor eyes after coloring this image. I would love to try it but I only create cards and most images I use are around the 3″ size so this would have me with a migraine. You did a fantastic job and I’m glad you didn’t give up. I’m also glad that you shared with us at Pammie’s Inky Pinkies, Donna – DT

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *